Monday 17 March 2008

Tuesday: Harrods and Selfridges

Bea was in charge today and I was more than happy to relinquish the reins to her. Plus it meant that I could lie in an almost alcoholic-like stupor in the back of the ridiculously large limo that my dear sister had “borrowed from work” for the day. It also had the added advantage of rendering Amelia speechless. It took us just over an hour to traverse across London, Bea’s Blackberry ringing almost incessantly until she turned it off. “Gee, you’re certainly in demand!” Lorna exclaimed as we clambered out of the vehicle outside the fantastically large department store. The car slid effortlessly back into the traffic as we all stood around outside like country bumpkins.

Still, we shopped, Amelia reeling at the prices – “I thought someone had left their phone number on the label!” she gasped as she manhandled some “party frocks” while Lorna tried on shoes. Charlie kept her eyes peeled for the Rich and Famous and almost hyperventilated when she saw Graham Norton. But it turned out to be just another short gentleman wearing a lurid green suit and matching shoes.

Georges the Chauffeur, a very handsome Frenchman barely kept us waiting between shops and, even though he didn’t quite doff his cap as I got out of the car, he bowed his head respectfully. I could get used to this! A very “spaced out” day for me I have to admit – I wasn’t really with it – I think I had over relaxed having let Bea take over. I enjoyed the Food Hall and far preferred Selfridges to Harrods and I found those chocolates! I bought some for Easter but I can hear them calling to me even as I type……as are the doughnuts I bought from Harrods.

Guilt presents: England cap for David from souvenir stall, toy for Mac from Children’s Department, food mats for the dogs, printed “Harrods”

2 comments:

aims said...

I'm so glad that I'm a celiac - no flour for me..so no doughnuts call my name..

Anonymous said...

THERES A FASMOUS PERSON THAT LIVES IN NUNHEAD ON IVYDALE ROAD, PLOICE ARE OUTSIDE THE HOUSE 24HRS, I THINK ITS A MP? DOES ANYONE KNOW WHO IT IS THAT LIVES THERE?

All about me

My photo
Nunhead, London, United Kingdom
I'm a mum of one, wife of one and owner to several dogs, a variety of breeds and sizes. I live in the up and coming area (or so they say) of Nunhead and have mad neighbours, strange friends and certifiable relatives. I shop locally, although I do defect to Sainsburys once a week - shoot me now local shopkeepers.