Tuesday 9 October 2007

Party time

“Mackenzie is invited to Alex’s birthday party – even though he wasn’t invited to Mackenzie’s”. This kind, nay, thoughtful invitation was issued by Alex’s mum Joy at the school gates this morning. Taken aback somewhat, I enquired when the party would be. “This afternoon, straight from nursery, at Alex’s grandmothers house in West Dulwich”. Ah, I suspect we’re making up the numbers.

This was confirmed to me during a discussion with Alison, mum of Tom and Mac’s best friend. Tom was invited only minutes before Mac was because, Alison informs me, Nike and Ali had pulled out mysteriously this morning, both with “stomach upsets”. “Come on, it’ll be a laugh!” Alison said as we watched Joy hand round the address of her mother-in-law and marshalling the parents and their offspring into “not bringing any tat please, if you can’t find an original and educational present, then please put some money in an envelope.”.

That’s that then, I’m off to put £10 (£5?) into an envelope and Alison is heading off to the pound shop to get some plastic toy soldiers with dangerously sharp swords and guns.

5 comments:

Gwen said...

Sounds like a lot of fun - I hope!

Kelly Innes said...

What a social whirl your boy leads!!! Loving the new blue!

Anonymous said...

We don't do parties anymore! Saves a whole lot of money if nothing else.

Crystal xx

Mutterings and Meanderings said...

What lovely mums you have round your way!

dulwichmum said...

Hi there lovely girl,

I have a couple of "sing the times tables" CD's I can let you have for just this kind of party. The poor children usually play with the box and throw away the educational toy... (ha!)

All about me

My photo
Nunhead, London, United Kingdom
I'm a mum of one, wife of one and owner to several dogs, a variety of breeds and sizes. I live in the up and coming area (or so they say) of Nunhead and have mad neighbours, strange friends and certifiable relatives. I shop locally, although I do defect to Sainsburys once a week - shoot me now local shopkeepers.